THOMAS H. ESTES
PRACTICING LAW FOR OVER 20 YEARS
ABOUT THOMAS H. ESTES
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Criminal Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- OUI Defense
- Civil Litigation
- Plaintiff Personal Injury
- General Litigation
- Family Law Litigation
Trial Court, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Associate Justice of the District Court
March 2014 – June 2018
▪ First Justice of the Eastern Hampshire District Court from 2015 to 2017. Managed the relationships between the Clerk’s Office, the Probation Office and Court Security to deliver justice to members of the public with compassion, fairness and efficiency.
▪ Created and presided over the Pittsfield Drug Court from 2016 to 2017.
▪ Presided over a wide variety of court proceedings including: criminal and civil jury trials and bench trials, small claims jury and bench trials, mental health commitment hearings, substance abuse disorder commitments hearings, violations of probation hearings, evidentiary and non-evidentiary motions, pretrial motions in limine, restraining order hearings, motor vehicle infraction appeals, pleas and sentencing, arraignments and bail hearings, dangerousness hearings, motions to revoke and/or modify bail or conditions of release, extradition hearings, summary process cases, supplementary process cases, pretrial conferences, case management conferences and motions to seal criminal convictions.
▪ Attended numerous trainings and conferences on a variety of topics including: leadership, drug court and criminal and civil law.
Committee for Public Counsel Services, Public Defender Division
August 2006 – March 2014
▪ Directed the Northampton District Court Office, which is responsible for representing indigent clients in the District Courts in Hampshire and Franklin Counties.
▪ Supervised six attorneys, an investigator, a social worker and an administrative assistant.
▪ Trained new attorneys in all aspects of criminal defense.
▪ In 2006, managed the opening of the Northampton District Court Office. Built and fostered positive relationships with judges, clerks, probation offices, prosecutors and bar advocate programs. Established protocols and procedures for the efficient acquisition and resolution of cases.
▪ Represented clients charged with felonies and misdemeanors in Superior and District Court in jury trials, bench trials, dangerousness hearings, violations of probation, bail revocations and mental health commitments.
▪ Interviewed and hired staff and new attorneys.
▪ Served as faculty at multiple management, staff attorney and bar advocate trainings.
September 2002 – August 2006
▪ Represented indigent clients charged with serious felonies in Superior and District Court.
▪ Superior Court jury trials including rape, indecent assault and battery, breaking and entering, larceny in a building, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault and battery.
Office of the Public Defender for the City and County of Fairfax
August 1998 – August 2002
Deputy Public Defender
▪ Managed an office of 23 attorneys and 10 staff; interacted with judges, the Office of Probation and Parole, the District Attorney’s office and the Juvenile and Adult Detention Centers on behalf of the office.
Supervising Attorney, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court
▪ Supervised a division of four attorneys and one support staff; defended felony and misdemeanor cases.
Public Defender I & II
▪ Represented indigent defendants in jury trials including murder, robbery, aggravated sexual battery, indecent liberties, burglary, assault on a police officer, escape, grand larceny and indecent exposure as well as at bench trials and preliminary hearings.
▪ Wrote briefs and presented arguments to the Supreme Court of Virginia and the Virginia Court of Appeals.
Oliff and Berridge, PLC
September 1996 – August 1998
Patent and Trademark Litigation Attorney
William & Mary School of Law
Juris Doctor May 1996
University of Virginia
Bachelor of Arts, Asian Studies and Foreign Affairs May 1990
Have questions or want to learn more about your options? Fill out the form and we will contact you shortly.